Freixenet to invest over 35 million euros in a new logistics centre

The company will centralise the logistics activity of 15 centres in a new platform in Gelida (Barcelona)

Freixenet, the cava producer, has decided to end its “disperse logistical situation”, said the company president, Josep Lluís Bonet. Currently, Freixenet has 15 logistics centres throughout the Alt Penedès region (Barcelona). The activity of these facilities will be centralised, from 2018 onwards, in a new semi-automated logistics platform that Freixenet will begin to construct at the end of the year in the municipality of Gelida, located a few kilometres from the company’s headquarters in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia . Besides, the logistics of part of the production of the Freixenet group in the rest of Spain is also scheduled to be centralised.

The new logistics centre will be located on a 36,000 square metre plot, 21,000 square metres of which will be used for building, and in which an investment of between 35 and 40 million euros is planned, as explained by Josep Lluís Bonet and the CEO of Freixenet, Pere Ferrer. Approximately six million euros of this investment came from the acquisition of the land in the industrial estate of Can Panyella, located next to the AP-7 motorway and 37 kilometres from the port of Barcelona.

Both Josep Lluís Bonet and Pere Ferrer have highlighted the location of Gelida. “It helps us that it is close to the production lines”, notes Pere Ferrer. Moreover, its proximity to the port of Barcelona will also facilitate the export of its products. According to figures provided by Freixenet, 40% of its exports are transported through the port enclave, while the remaining 60% is transported by road.

Freixenet forecasts suggest that the Gelida logistics centre, which will employ 50 people, will make it possible to achieve a volume of 35,000 pallets and transfer of 150 lorries a day. However, the wine and cava producing company did not clarify whether the platform will be managed directly or outsourced, because, according to its managers the project is still in its early stages.

Source and photo: El Vigia

Fecha del Taller: